Measure S Resolution
Measure S – Recommendation to Approve the New Compton High School Schematic Designs
Whereas on November 3 the residents of the school district approve measure S – General obligation bond was voted on by 56% to authorize the issuance of the bond to the district for the maximum aggregate principal amount of $350,000,000 in general obligation bonds at legal rates to make schools modern, safe and inspiring and reconstruct local schools and facilities, including research libraries, modern classrooms and science labs, media and performing arts centers, technology center and athletic complexes; improve safety, security roofing, plumbing, heating electrical, and other systems; with mandatory audits, independent citizen oversight and no money for administration.
Where as on January 26, 2016 the Board of Trustees adopted Resolution Number 15/16-23 declaring results and certifying proceeding of the School Bond Measure S Election held on November 3, 2015 which authorized the issuance of Bonds to the District $350,000,000 of which $213,000,000 is planned for selection to New Compton High School per current assessed District property value.
Whereas on December 13, 2016 the Board of Trustees approved to award contract to DLR Group, as a result of the formally advertised Request for Proposals for Architectural Services in preparation for the facilities in preparation for the facilities improvement project at New Compton High School.
Whereas on February 15, 2018 the District Facilities Committee reviewed the DLR Group Presentation – Charting a Plan Forward and recommended approval of Schematic Design of $130,821,202.
Whereas on the evening of February 15, 2018 the Board of Trustees will receive information from the District Bond Program Manager on the recommend Schematic Design. Option 1 was selected budgeted and scheduled for design and construct the following facilities to prepare Compton High School studies to complete the secondary school educational program curriculum that colleges and universities require for admission and to acquire those skills necessary for Compton High School students to successfully complete in the local community, regional, national and/or global economy.
- Academic Building with total student capacity of 1,800 with future expansion for an additional 450 students
- A Single-Story Gymnasium with three (3) basketball courts and bleachers on all four sides
- Aquatics Center with CIF Competition Pool (wheelchair harness/ramp) blenchers along wall sides
- Preforming Arts Center with seating for 900 (with A/V equipment black box, control box)
- Outdoor Stadium (To hold outdoor sporting activities such as track and field, football, soccer, rugby with stadium style lighting bleachers and press box
- Improved landscape to enhance the learning environment and to encourage outside educational activities
- ADA compliant restrooms, ramps, and learn areas
- Secure entry points
- Enhance Locker room
- Adhering to all safety regulations
- Pre-Projects to include but not limited to; site preparation, demolition, land work , site infrastructure and utilizes, lunch shelters, staff/ student parking areas, basketball and tennis courts, hardscape, native, adaptive and landscape
- Improvements not limited to the above emphasized
The recommended construction budget for the schematic design option 1 is $130,821,202 with final budget to be determined through the construction bid and award process.
The recommended schedule for the schematic design Option 1 is:
- Re-Boot schematic design – March 2019 – June 2019
- Design Development Phase July 2019 – September 2019
- Construction Documents Phase – October 2019 – May 2020
- DSA Review & Approval May 2020 – December 2020
- Construction Bid and Award Phase January 2021 – March 2021
- Project Start Construction April 2021 – April 2023
It is recommended that the Board of Trustees approve the schematic design, Budget and Schedule for the New Compton High School as presented.